[🔥 Hot Topic] GM 0.10+ Player settings, teams & equipment via Spawn Point

Ask questions and discuss how to set up teams and equipment using the new Spawn Point behavior introduced in Game Maker 0.10.

RESOURCE
See Spawn Point documentation for helpful details about how it works, including how Player menu settings have been moved to this behavior.

8 Likes

Can you explain how Spawn Point, and used for Team and Tags works?

I have three computers to test multiplayer mechanics, but the Spawn Point has a minimum of 3 Max Players. With this behavior, I can’t test team mechanics alone.

The Spawn Point also innovates by not allowing interactions by other components, nor allowing parenting in the Hierarchy.

I’m really having a lot of difficulty learning about Spawn Point.

Thank you

4 Likes

Apparently Players currently spawn at random team spawners for balance. This methodology is effective, but we should add a feature that lets players choose their spawners with a TAG. Make this tool accessible to game architects.

4 Likes

So, are there currently no ways to ‘select your team’?

1 Like

Right now, the only workaround I can think of is creating some kind of rule system and assigning a variable to each of the Teams and participants instead of using the new spawn behavior with a tag. But if anyone else finds another way, please let us know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong, currently it seems to be designed and only useful for a very specific Battlefield-type continuous multiplayer games, where it automatically fills new players with a team, skipping the need to create a room or wait for players’ phase. But the team assignment only happens when a player joins, there is no way to re-assign teams with logic.

It’s a good start, but it definitely needs additional settings to give creator more flexibility setting their own rules.
Maybe just send message to re-assign team and tag, that would be so much better.

5 Likes